Monday, April 18, 2011

This is the end of the world as we know it?

It kind of bugs me when people ask me "So, what is your book about?" and the best way I can describe it is "Well, it's about the end of the world" and even though my book is much more than that.  Unfortunately, I need to state the premise clearly and concisely so that others can understand what the overarching story is all about.

A lot of the fiction books dealing with this subject today usually concern an event that happens that leads into a "post-apocalyptic" future akin to The Road, Dune and so forth.  Some event or tragedy has already taken place and the characters are moving towards their futures while living in the world created in the past.  This is where Agent M: Project Mabus stand alone.

The initial concept of, what I like to call, 'the path to devastation' began when I started reading post-apocalyptic novels.  I was enthralled with the concept but I always found myself more intrigued with how the world became this way.  So instead of using it as a setting, I've developed it as the theme and main plot of the story.

When I first started to conceptualize my thoughts, I started asking myself on almost a daily basis "what will the end of the world be like?"  That's a lot to think about.  It's not like I believe one day the world is going to just split open like a pistachio and then BAM, humanity over.  I wanted to create not only a convincing but legitimate scenario to how the world would end in this kind of story.

Of course, something of this magnitude would need an equally amazing villain.  This is where I received a little help from an old French Seer.  But alas, that is a story to be told for another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment