Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 – A Year in Review


As we count down to the fabled “end of days” (according to the Mayan calendar anyways. For an upgraded version, you need to look no further than right here), I think it’s important to look back on all of the accomplishments and accolades I’ve achieved this year. 2011 has been a very good year to me and in order to truly appreciate all of the amazing feats, I think it’s well deserved to take a little time out of my day and be thankful for what I have. So here they are in chronological order.

1)      Quit World of Warcraft (January 1st)
-          This was both easy and difficult to complete. On the one end, most of my time was dedicated to school and I could no longer spend fruitless hours mining ore and collecting gear. On the other hand, I hated leaving all of the friends I made during my 2-year run (not to mention I just shelled out $80 for the Cataclysm collector’s edition 2 weeks earlier). The social aspect of the game kept me going but the time aspect pushed me away. I still keep in touch with some of the good friends I made and having those little nuggets of humor from time to time quells my desire to return to the world of Azeroth.

2)      Completed Agent M: Project Mabus (February 24th)
-          I really came out swinging this year. As soon as I recovered from my New Year’s celebration the night before, I started cranking out pages as if my life depended on it. Nothing could stop me. I even would write between classes and sometimes during (with apologies going out to my Supply Chain Management professor. The B+ I received was well warranted I assure you). Still, nothing beat the feeling on that faithful night at 10:44pm when I typed the final word of the epilogue, ending an 8 year journey and starting a brand new one all with a single keystroke.

3)      Started a new job (April 12th)
-          Despite the brilliant previous achievement 8 years in the making, this is the one I am truly the most thankful for. Most people earn their living by doing something they don’t really like and taking orders from someone with equal or greater disdain. I am lucky to say I have one of the best jobs in the world, doing something I not only love but am fairly good at, and for the best boss I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t know where I would be today without this job but one thing’s for sure, I’m blessed to be here.

4)      Graduated from C.S.U.S.B. with an MBA in Marketing Management (June 8th)
-          This one was the biggest weight off my shoulders. Thanks to my previous employer, I was able to afford this opportunity but only at a snail’s pace. The normal program would take approximately 2 years but because of time conflict and pre-requisites, it took me just under 4 years. The first 3 were easy; it was the last 6 months that was a real bitch. But, I triumphantly conquered this quest and walked the same educational path of one Howard Wolowitz of The Big Bang Theory fame.

5)      Moved out of my parents house and into another state (July 31st)
-          Although it would seem like a significant achievement for some, this one transitioned so well that within a few days, I felt like I had lived in my new home all my life. Truth be told, my parents were the most affected by this. My younger brother moved out about 2 years prior and now with me gone, all they have left is our dog Cody. Don’t get me wrong, the dog kicks a shitload of ass but still, seeing the children you raised from conception walk out of your house has to be tough. For them, it was a sad day. For me, it was the beginning of a much larger journey. I couldn’t be happier or more blessed with the care they gave me and every time I go back and visit it feels like I never left.

6)      Completed the P90x program (December 22nd)
-          I have been battling weight issues ever since I got my driver’s license. In 2009 became fed up with it and soon I lost 50 pounds over the course of 4 months. Sadly, the stress of school and commuting forced me down the same junky path and I gained back every single pound I lost. This time, I forced myself to do something that I didn’t think possible. On October 1st, I popped in the very 1st P90x DVD and would not stop until I was back to my 2009 shape. It took a lot of personal sacrifice but in the end, I am currently 40 lbs lighter and still going strong. I might not be exactly where I left myself 2 years ago, but I’m certainly closer than I ever was and this time, I’m going to keep it that way.

Wow. Looking back on it, I certainly did a lot of shit. Seeing all of this good stuff done in a single year will make it hard to top. But therein lies the fun. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. My goals for 2012 are going to challenge me in ways I didn’t think possible and while I won’t reveal them all here, you can certainly tune in this time next year to see the results.

1 comments:

DMS said...

Wow! It sounds like you have had quite the year! Congrats on the weight loss- I have 3 friends who swear by P90X- I know it takes a lot of dedication. Also- excellent job finishing your book. What an accomplishment! I just read your interview on Patti Roberts's site and it was very interesting. I am a new follower here.

Wishing you the best of luck in 2012.
~Jess ( I usually show up as my main character,Fairday, for some reason.)
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment